Position: Anesthesiologist Delegate (Anticipatory recruitment)
Contract Type: Temporary (ERU Register)
Duration: 4 to 6 weeks
Department: International Operations
Mission status: Unaccompanied
Salary Band: $94,842 – $99,191 /year
An iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet – The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), is seeking an Anesthesiologist Delegate.
You want to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian network? You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization that makes a huge difference in the lives of Canadians here at home and abroad. What are you waiting for? At the Canadian Red Cross, we help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience. We are committed to having an accessible, diverse, and inclusive work environment where people with all abilities, ethnicities, gender identities and expressions, nationalities, religions, and sexual orientations can reach their full potential. All qualified persons, particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, women, veterans, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace are encouraged to apply.
As an Anesthesiologist Delegate you will:
- Support the establishment and management of the anaesthesia department and recovery ward, in cooperation with the surgeon and operating theatre nursing staff.
- Be responsible for the anaesthetic equipment, drugs and be able to provide various types of anaesthesia (local, general).
- Perform pre-operative assessments, provide advice on pain relief and fluid replacement and resuscitation (when appropriate).
- Work according to the Ministry of Health / WHO guidelines and ensure national standards are maintained.
- Liaise as requested with local health authorities and other health providers.
- Supervise and provide training for local personnel, where appropriate.
- Ensure all documentation meets local legal requirements and that statistical data is collated, using the health monitoring system, and to incorporate information in regular reports.
- Support the capacity of the host National Society and develop skills where possible.
What we are looking for:
- Current Professional Registration (registered and in good standing) in Canada or the United States of America as Anesthesiologist
- Academic qualification in medicine with specialization in anesthesiology
- Minimum 3 years professional clinical experience, providing anaesthesia services to paediatric, adult and geriatric populations
- Previous international experience in a humanitarian context or in low-resource and/or austere environments in Canada or abroad
- Fluency in English is mandatory for the role. An additional language (Spanish, Arabic, French,…) is an asset
- Availability to deploy on short notice—48-72 hours and on unaccompanied missions of 4-6 weeks
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground).
The Canadian Red Cross is an organization guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.
Due to the large volume of applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To learn more about Emergency Response Units, please visit the following link: http://www.redcross.ca/ERU