AVP, Liability Manager Eastern Region
There are many reasons why Zurich is the intelligent choice for your career.
Collaborate with some of the most diverse minds in the industry. Stimulating challenges. Global awareness. Meaningful work. Work on challenges that help you to grow. You’ll have the chance to develop vital skills, explore your passions, and build a rich and rewarding career.
Reporting to the VP, Liability Regional Manager, Zurich Canada, this role is responsible for leading a team of market facing underwriters in the Eastern Region (non-packaged accounts with revenues of less than $1B) , establishing and applying UW guidelines, and developing annual training plans for the underwriting team. This role is accountable to identify and execute on the strategy for the growth, compliance and profitability of this portfolio.
- Manage market facing underwriters who proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
- Identifies new growth opportunities with select and non-select brokers in the Eastern region.
- Ensure that accounts are qualified, and meet with the organization’s appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
- Along with underwriters in areas supervised, make broker and customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
- Oversee negotiations of Terms & Conditions and closes deals.
- Ensure cross-sell working closely with property, specialty and auto team in the region to increase product density with the account.
- Provide continuous coaching on sales best practices.
- Mentor staff to develop strong broker and client networks as related to industries underwritten by Business Unit.
- Closely monitor key metrics such as net promoter scores, rate changes, retention, sales funnel and new business production of team.
- Identify market trends and coverage’s exposures that may impact business results. Work with actuarial pricing when needed to insure a proper rate / price structure.
- Support development and maintenance of broker relationships to achieve profitable growth, market share, product mix, new business and account retention.
- Improve customer relations, profitability and productivity by continually analyzing branch office´s new business, loss ratio, expense ratio, loss frequency, broker distribution, product mix to determine it´s impact on other business units.
- Business Travel, as required
- Extended Hours during Peak Periods, as required
- Maintain a Valid Driver’s License, as required
- Regular Predictable Attendance
- Visibility in the Office, as required
Additional Job Functions
- Monitor and oversee portfolio exposure, taking appropriate action to ensure no limits have been breached and full compliance with relevant regulations.
- Contribute to and implement agreed technical standard, controls, practices and procedures thereby maintaining integrity of underwriting function.
- Develop and propose action plans for improvement in dealing with complex customer cases in response to business partner and customer feedback to enable the organization to meet their needs.
- Provide expert advice within specialized area of underwriting to key stakeholders/customers in order to identify and deliver solutions that benefit the organization and their customers.
- Use insights from customers, brokers and own technical expertise to develop new or enhanced propositions that meet customer needs.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 7 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area within the Commercial Insurance industry
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 14 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area within the Commercial Insurance industry
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area within the Commercial Insurance industry
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 12 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area within the Commercial Insurance industry
- University Diploma or Equivalent and 15 or more years of experience in the Liability (GL and Umbrella/Excess) Underwriting or Market Facing area within the Commercial Insurance industry.
- 3 to 5 years managerial experience leading a team of liability underwriters would be an asset.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.