Casualty Underwriter, Montreal
Working within the Eastern Region Casualty team in Montreal, the role of the Casualty Underwriter is to generate a pipeline of new business opportunities whilst managing a renewal portfolio of upper mid-market clients with revenues up to $1Bn. Supported by a dedicated local team of Underwriting Assistants, Liability Risk Engineers, International Service Specialists, Pricing Actuaries and an industry leading claims team, this is your opportunity to join a growing and highly successful organization.
The incumbent will analyze and underwrite new and renewal casualty business, regularly interacting and facing the market, under limited supervision, utilizing The Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework within delegated authority levels on assignments of moderate technical complexity ensuring a high level of service to our customers.
Client Externally Focused – The job’s core deliverables rely on delivering service to external clients and/or customers. Typically involves building relationships and promoting the company.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 1 or more years of experience in the Insurance area
• Knowledge of the insurance industry and the legal and regulatory environment
• Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
• Bilingual (French/English) is required
• Bachelor’s Degree with 2 or more years’ experience underwriting casualty business.
• Strong negotiation skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Microsoft Office skills
Job Accountabilities – Key Accountabilities
• Administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
• Develop, maintain & collaborate with Line of Business representatives and other business related needs, as appropriate.
• Develop and maintain relationships with distributors (agents & brokers) in support of business retention and acquisition and works with customers and distributors (agents & brokers) to determine their insurance related needs and provide solutions.
• Support the organization’s sales culture by being a Help Point for agents, brokers and customers.
• Proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
• Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
• Qualify accounts to meet with the organization’s appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
• Make broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose. • Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase the organization’s product density with the account.
• Promote the organization’s products and services in order to increase penetration with agency plant.
• Participate in Sales Team meetings as they relate to assigned brokers and / or territory.
• Proactively engage in the target account process, managing a qualified list of opportunities 90 to 120 days prior to effective date.
• Update required systems with details of broker / client visits and account statuses within specified time frame.
• Serve as key contact for assigned target accounts.
• Calculate Target Price accurately by utilizing underwriting tools appropriately.
• Measure exposures/analyze risk.
• Quote and set coverage, negotiate terms and conditions.
• Service accounts, handle declinations/cancellations.
• Participate in marketing presentations to assigned agents/brokers.
• Resolve technical problems by referring to policies, procedures, specifications.
• Provide technical expertise for short-term, defined scope projects.
• Identify and comply with the main principles relevant to legal and regulatory controls that govern standard work practices.
• Collect evidence from well-established sources and deliver accurate decisions to customers and facilitate decision making on wider customer issues.
• Monitor underwriting processes in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Business Travel, as required
• Extended Hours during Peak Periods, as required
• Regular Predictable Attendance
Only applicable for Canada: For Zurich Canada’s commitment to diversity and accessibility please click here. If you would prefer to not receive future electronic messages from Zurich Insurance Company Ltd’s recruitment management system, please email your request to have your job profile deleted from the system by clicking here. Zurich Insurance Company Ltd 100 King St., W., Suite 5500, Toronto, ON, M5X 1C9. www.zurichcanada.com