Title: Emergency Responder, Disaster Management
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Type of contract: Casual
Salary band: $13.50 /hour
An iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organization on this planet – The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), is seeking an Emergency Responder, Disaster Management to join our Disaster Management team.
You want to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian network? You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization that makes a huge difference in the lives of Canadians here at home and abroad. What are you waiting for?
At the Canadian Red Cross, we help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience. We are committed to having an accessible, diverse, and inclusive work environment where people with all abilities, ethnicities, gender identities and expressions, nationalities, religions, and sexual orientations can reach their full potential. All qualified persons, particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, women, veterans, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will assess and identify the resources (human and material) required to meet the needs of people affected by disasters at the response sites, as well as deliver services.
As an Emergency Responder, Disaster Management, you will:
- Liaise with the Service de sécurité incendie de Montréal (SIM) or other local authorities, as appropriate.
- Assess the scope of the disaster impacts.
- Identify the resources (human and material) required to meet the needs of people affected by disasters, as per the established procedure, and communicate them to the duty officer.
- Oversee the Red Cross response teams on site.
- Inform the duty officer of response developments and evaluate the delivery of disaster services.
- Ensure compliance, offer guidance, and provide continued feedback to the Red Cross response teams during a response in accordance with national disaster management standards.
- Conduct operational briefings.
- Drive the disaster response vehicle.
- Be available for deployment to support local emergency response operations, including assisting with the preparedness phase.
- Be available during emergency operations in Canada.
We’re looking for:
- A college diploma in recreation, ambulance, or police services, social sciences and humanities, or the equivalent.
- Experience in emergency management and response.
- Experience leading a group.
- Experience working in a volunteer setting (an asset).
- Knowledge of and practical experience with software such as the Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong writing skills.
- A valid Class 5 and/or 4A and/or 4B driver’s licence.
- Fluency in English and French.
- This is a casual position including on-call shifts that require you to be present in the Greater Montreal area.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground);
The Canadian Red Cross is an organization guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.