Title: Front End Software Developer
Location: Remote, Montreal, Qc
Employment status: Permanent full-time
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking a senior Front End Software Developer with a vast experience in a popular frontend framework (Vue, Angular or React) to join our team.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to develop a suite of integrated data and communication systems that provide powerful tools to help manage emergency interventions where speed and intelligence save lives. They will help deliver product capabilities and features to our ground-breaking cloud-based product, Emergency Management Information System (EMIS) and contribute to the software engineering strategy and development, operation, and maintenance of the solutions.
In this role, you will:
- Maintain and develop new features on our applications based on requirements.
- Develop automated tests as part of overall quality assurance best practices.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to solve software, system design and implementation problems.
- Work with development and product management teams to define user story acceptance criteria, break down complex stories into tasks, estimates, plan and deliveries.
- Convert technical and functional requirements into system level design specifications, to develop high-performance software.
- Contribute to improvements in our corporate software development methodology and practices.
- Troubleshoot and debug new or existing software programs.
- Participate in on-call rotation to support the application and its users.
- Write or update functional requirement documents and guides, as required.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer software with a minimum 3-5+ years’ experience in front end development or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proficient in English (French will be considered an asset)
- Demonstrated experience in implementing complex application with one of the major front-end frameworks (bonus for Vue.js).
- SOLID design principles and Object-Oriented Programming.
- Familiarity with state management pattern, routing and Single Page Application.
- Experience with both consuming and designing RESTful APIs.
- Understanding of responsive design principles and how to apply them on the client-side.
- Experience with DevOps tooling for development (e.g., Azure Devops).
- Experience with agile methodologies such as SCRUM, Kanban.
- Automation tests, unit tests, component tests (Jest or similar) , Selenium a bonus.
- Experience with common web development tools and services, version control software, package managers, and CI/CD pipelines and its principles.
- Ability to write efficient, secure, testable, maintainable well-documented, and clean code.
- Culture of code reviews, writing tech specs, and collaborating closely with others.
- Ability to track development project using tools like Jira.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.