Senior Underwriter, Middle Market – East Region
Zurich Canada’s Middle Market business is growing! To support our growth, we are seeking experienced Underwriters who will be accountable for profitably growing our Commercial Property & Casualty book of business across each of our Regions.
In this market facing commercial underwriting role, you will be responsible for creating strong broker relationships with the aim to provide meaningful customer service and strong commercial insurance solutions.
Through development of strong broker relationships, you will thoughtfully underwrite new and renewal business while actively engaging in the marketplace to enhance the Zurich Canada brand. You will shape your portfolio of accounts within the broader Middle Market strategy as you utilize The Zurich Way of Underwriting, working within your delegated authority to ensure a high level of accountability and equally high level of service to customers.
As our Middle Market Business Unit continues to grow, your personal learning and development opportunities will also grow, as you develop your Underwriting and Portfolio Optimization skills while contributing to Zurich Canada’s results.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 4 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 6 or more years of experience in Claims
• Knowledge of lines of business and the legal and regulatory guidelines
• Knowledge of the insurance industry and the legal and regulatory environment
• Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, pricing and guideline requirements
• Experience working on time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
• Experience working in a team environment
• Bachelors’ Degree with 4 or more years’ experience in the commercial P&C underwriting area
• Strong negotiation skills
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Microsoft Office skills
Job Accountabilities – Key Accountabilities
The Senior Underwriter is responsible for:
• Serving as an advocate of Middle Market value proposition with a focus on improving the customer experience by understanding our customer’s risks and offering the best end to end solution for their insurance needs.
• Developing and nurturing broker networks related to mid market customer with focus on target industries as outlined in business strategy
• Making broker calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose focused on promoting our products and services to increase penetration
• Identify opportunities through local relationships, proactively seeking renewal and new account opportunities adding to the growth and profitability of our Middle Market portfolio
• Using a disciplined approach to exposure evaluation, risk assessment and pricing:
- Qualifying accounts that align with business strategy and the organization’s appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
- Measuring exposure and analyzing opportunities to provide appropriate coverage per organization´s risk and compliance processes.
- Apply rating tools and methodologies to deliver to customers and offer suggestions for improvements.
- Using risk insights and analytical tools to drive informed decisions at point of sale.
• Working within limits and delegated authorities, in conjunction with adherence to underwriting rules and guidelines, compliance protocols and insurance regulations
• Apply best practices and provide insights to continuously develop and improve underwriting systems and process
• Up-selling additional coverages associated with the Middle Market product suite (eg Z-Guard) for most comprehensive package solution
• Cross-selling other lines of business to increase product density with the account for most comprehensive Zurich solution
• Understanding customer needs, challenges and market dynamics to initiate middle market product solutions for development
• Demonstrating key aspects of portfolio management in consideration of performance metrics, data and insights with aim to improve portfolio, driving diversified growth
• Ensuring strong partnership with UAs within the Underwriting Services team to ensure proactive engagement with brokers and best-in-industry customer service focused on timeliness and accuracy of quotes, policy issuance and premium booking.
• Mentorship of less experienced underwriters and supporting training initiatives, as required
• Honing individual skill set and product knowledge, demonstrating senior underwriting level expertise, to become a trusted advisor to middle market brokers and customers
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.